Cairn Energy PLC is an independent, UK-based oil and gas exploration, development and production company.
Cairn has explored, discovered, developed and produced oil and gas in a variety of locations throughout the world and has extensive experience as operator and partner in all stages of the oil and gas life cycle.
Creating value responsibly
Cairn is committed to working responsibly as part of our strategy to deliver value for all stakeholders. This means working in a safe, secure, environmentally and socially responsible manner.
Cairn Energy in a snapshot
- Cairn has explored, discovered, developed and produced oil and gas in a variety of locations throughout the world as an operator and partner in all stages of the oil and gas lifecycle.
- Cairn is a focused and dynamic operator, bringing pace to safe and efficient operations whilst delivering lasting social and economic benefits to the countries in which we invest.
- Cairn has demonstrated the ability to manage unique operating challenges onshore and offshore, in shallow and deep waters locations, in remote and frontier locations.
- Cairn has a strong track record of adding value for Government and Joint Venture partnerships having formed and contributed to multiple partnerships past and present.
- Cairn is supported by strong, long term financial investors and funded to actively assess new ventures and portfolio additions.
- Cairn’s production assets, located in mature basins, provide cash flow to sustain explorations and development activity.
- Cairn operates to industry leading standards in health, safety and environmental management and corporate social responsibility.
- A culture of working responsibly means having the right values, principles and policies in place to deliver lasting and social economic benefits.
- When others saw few prospects in India, Cairn created transformational growth and significant value through the discovery, development and production of substantial resources.
- Cairn played an active role in developing India's reserves, building the domestic industry and enhancing energy security.
- Cairn created a world class oil province in Rajasthan - the largest onshore discovery in India for more than 25 years with the potential to provide more than 30% of India's daily crude oil production.
- Mangala, Bhagyam and Aishwariya fields were three of the largest finds in Rajasthan with recoverable reserves and resources of more than one billion barrels.
- Cairn drilled the first deep-water wells in India, opening the now prolific Krishna Godavari basin which also included the discovery and development of the country's first offshore gas field in the Bay of Bengal.
- Elsewhere in Asia, Cairn discovered the first offshore gas field in Bangladesh and operated for more than ten years as a catalyst for industry investment in the region.
- Cairn delivered a two year 8 well programme in The Arctic.
- In Senegal, Cairn made one of the largest oil discoveries in 2014 and established a new hydrocarbon province.
- Cairn's two bain opening discoveries were the first deep water wells to be drilled offshore Senegal which is now attracting the attention of the global oil industry.
- Cairn and its partners have established a resource base that will deliver 100,000 bopd.
- Development planning is progressing to deliver first oil in 2021-2023 which will be the anchor for economic and social development in Senegal.