Our success is built on our people. We strive to keep all those who work at our sites safe, healthy and secure.
Our approach to working responsibly ensures that we provide our people with a safe working environment that supports and helps to protect them, through:
- preventing major accidents and promoting workplace safety;
- protecting the security of our people;
- maintaining their health and well-being;
- encouraging and fostering personal growth; and
- operating with zero tolerance for discrimination and promoting diversity.
Major accident prevention
We place great emphasis on working to prevent major accidents in our projects during planning and operational phases. Our management system uses a number of tools to help us do so:
- Cairn Operating Standards applying our Project Delivery Process across the business lifecycle.
- Our Corporate Responsibility Management System, which defines our Standard Operating Procedures applied in our projects.
- High standards of programme design, equipment and application of good industry practice.
- Highly competent staff and contractors.
Keeping close control
We use our gated Project Delivery Process (PDP) to ensure that we understand and control risks at key project stages across different business activities. The PDP helps us focus on what is important and apply good practice in line with our requirements, as well as international and national standards.
We use the PDP to manage CR issues and apply these standards to all operated projects and it also helps us challenge partners in non-operated ventures. Specific project types (e.g. seismic, drilling) must meet defined criteria at designated ‘stage gates’. Each stage gate has defined actions and deliverables, which must be signed off by a ‘gatekeeper’ who is independent of the project. The gatekeeper closely monitors the project’s integrity and performance, identifying and implementing corrective actions when required.
Prepared to respond
Although we focus on prevention, we must be prepared to respond to any accident or incident that may impact people, the environment, our assets or damage our reputation. To respond to high-impact, low-frequency events, we maintain a Crisis and Emergency response capability, which we test regularly and continuously look to improve.